COMMITMENT TO EDUCATION
The Board of Trustees of the Heritage Classic Foundation (HCF) have a long-standing commitment to education. A scholarship program was established in 1993 and since that time hundreds of students have been awarded scholarship grants totaling more than $3.8 million. These scholarships are awarded to not only graduating high school seniors but also to students currently enrolled in higher education institutions.
WHAT SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE?
High School Seniors:
Each fall the HCF accepts applications from area high school seniors. The scholarship amounts vary from $18,000 – $22,000 and are payable over a four-year period. In 2017, eight (8) scholarships will be awarded. These Heritage Scholars are honored each spring at a luncheon, sponsored by Palmetto Electric Cooperative and at the Opening Ceremony of the RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing. At present, the Heritage Classic Foundation Scholar Awards are available only to Beaufort and Jasper County high school seniors.
While the award covers four years, the HCF reserves the right to review the Scholar’s continuing eligibility based upon his or her academic performance, attendance, or conduct.
College Students: The HCF also contributes scholarship funding to students currently enrolled in college.
USC-B and TCL Scholarships: The HCF has named scholarships at the University of South Carolina Beaufort Campus (USCB) and the Technical College of the Lowcountry (TCL). These scholarships honor of HCF trustees who have worked diligently to establish these scholarship programs.
Private Donor Scholarship: Due to the generosity of a private donor, the HCF is pleased to offer a new scholarship offering. At this time one scholarship has been established for a minority female engineering student currently enrolled in college with an opportunity to be considered for a $5,000 award. If anyone is interested in creating a scholarship named in honor of your family or foundation, please contact Angie Taylor at email@example.com or call 843.671.2374.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Students displaying outstanding academic achievement along with a balance of community involvement and/or extra-curricular activities are encouraged to apply.
High School Seniors: Students meeting the following criteria are eligible to apply:
• You must be a high school senior.
• You must have a 3.5 or greater GPA on the SC Uniform Grading Scale.
• You must score a 27 or greater on the ACT or a 1220 or greater on the SAT.
• You must be a legal U.S. citizen.
• You must be a legal resident of Beaufort or Jasper County.
• You must attend on the following high schools:
Battery Creek High School
Beaufort High School
Bluffton High School
Hilton Head Christian Academy
Hilton Head Island High School
Hilton Head Preparatory School
John Paul II Catholic High School
Ridgeland Hardeeville High School
Thomas Heyward Academy
Whale Branch Early College High School
• Parents’ combined adjusted annual income must be less than $200,000
Students currently enrolled in colleges and universities:
USC-B and TCL Students: These grants are selected and distributed through these schools. Students interested in these grants must contact the school directly for the selection criteria.
USCB Named Scholarships available:
- Cartha D. DeLoach Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
- John F. Curry Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
- Joseph B. Fraser Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
- Ward N. Kirby Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
TCL Named Scholarships available:
- Angus B. Cotton Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
- Norman P. Harberger Heritage Classic Annual Scholarship
Athanas Family Scholarship: Students meeting the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- You must be a minority female seeking a degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or Structural Engineering.
- You must be a legal resident of South Carolina
- You must be a legal US citizen
- You must be currently enrolled in a four-year accredited university engineering program.
- You must have completed your Freshman year of studies with an overall 3.0 GPA in all core subjects.
HOW ARE THE APPLICATIONS REVIEWED?
The HCF Scholar committee reviews each application to ensure all of the requirements outlined above are met. Emphasis is given to such factors as: academic success, SAT/ACT scores, community service, essays, and financial need. Finalists are then invited to an interview.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested students may apply online only. If you believe you meet the criteria as outlined above, please use the “Submit an Application” link. **Be sure to register first.
WHEN TO APPLY
High School Seniors: The website located under the scholar’s tab at www.heritageclassicfoundation.com opens on September 15th of each year. All applications must be completed by November 15th. Electronic notifications will be sent to students affirming or denying eligibility.
USCB and TCL Scholarships: Interested students must contact the school directly for information regarding these scholarships.
Athanas Family Scholarship: Eligible students may apply between June 1 and June 30, 2017.
2017 HERITAGE CLASSIC FOUNDATION SCHOLARS
• Sophia Bursch, Beaufort High School will attend the University of South Carolina
• Thomas Felver, Malanick Award Winner – Whale Branch Early College High School will attend Clemson University
• Jurnee Jones, Tartan Award Winner – May River High School
• Akasha Nelson, Zimmerman Award Winner – Beaufort High School will be attending Clemson University Calhoun Honors College
• Madeline Prince, Hilton Head Island High School will attend the United States Naval Academy
• Charlotte Ruhlin, Hilton Head Preparatory School will attend Clemson University Calhoun Honors College
• Arianna Serpe, Hilton Head Island High School will participate in the Rotary Youth Exchange Program
• Catherine Sheehan, Hilton Head Preparatory School
2016 USCB SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
• Michael Lambuth – Cartha D. DeLoach Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
• Angela Puleo & Marissa Orduna – John F. Curry Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
• Ileana Herrick & Christopher Cullinen – Joseph B. Fraser Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
• Nicholas Quattlebaum – Ward N. Kirby Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
2016 TCL SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
• XXXX – Angus B. Cotton Memorial Heritage Classic Foundation Annual Scholarship
• XXXX – Norman P. Harberger Heritage Classic Annual Scholarship